With my husband bringing burritos home for dinner and it being a British heatwave outside, I wanted something light, healthy and refreshing for lunch. And what’s more refreshing than a cool, green smoothie! This time I’m leaving out the peanut butter and flax and going with cucumber & OJ.
This recipe is 100% concocted and developed by moi.
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 frozen banana, quartered
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 3 Tbsp OJ concentrate + 8 oz water or 8 oz of orange juice
- 1/2 small avocado (I’m saving the other half for my burrito tonight)
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place all in blender and mix on high until fully liquefied. Keep it cool and Serve over ice.
A few quick pointers:
1. Peel bananas before freezing them. Although it was much easier to just throw my bananas in the freezer yesterday, peel and all – my fingers are nearly frost bitten after attempting to peel a frozen banana. I eventually found it easier when I cut the banana in quarters and then made slight knife indentations lengthwise to take the peel off in sections.
2. After slicing my avocado in half and removing the pit, I used my knife to peel the skin (alternatively you could use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. To preserve the second half for later, I left it in the peel and placed a few drops of lemon juice over the exposed portion to prevent browning.